Thursday, November 17, 2011

12/16

Last time I gave a nursing school update (or "NURSING-SCHOOL-UPDATE!" as i like to say over here, with lots of enthusiasm) I told you all about my first injection and how cool I felt. Well since then I've been able to give some in the hospital to my patients. Completing the whole meds process was a bit overwhelming at first. Note: you will definately need to a patients blood pressure before you give meds. You can bet I wont forget that again. That and the little cuppy for the pills.

Another first: It was my turn to observe a surgery in the OR last week! I was fuh-reezing! My instructors husband was actually the surgeon, isn't that awesome? Everyone in the OR was super nice which was great because I was expecting they would just feel like I was in the way all the time. The whole idea is to be watching what the nurse is doing, but I couldn't resist chatting up the Anesthesiologist (being that CRNA school is my end goal and all). The first day I saw a total knee replacement and the second day I saw a bunch of arthroscopys. I thought a TKR would be total bore city but I was wrong. He sawed off the end of the patients femur and tibia.

Its a shame they still haven't come up with something a little cuter to cover the head

Latest first: I saved the best for last. This week I did my first abdominal dressing change. I was muy nerviousa taking off the layers of gauze because I had no idea what to expect. At the same time I thought it was incredible my instructor really trusted me to do this (ha!). With my instructor right next to me the patient asks "so is this your first time doing this, Holly?". If your in nursing school you know that answer is always "Noo, I do these all the time", and its true, I practice all the time :).

During these last 3 weeks we only have 3 more days at the hospital. I can really feel a shift in the expectations on us as students. A little factoid about next semester: we get TWO patients. Not gunna lie, kind of nervous. Before I get too ahead of myself I am just going to focus on my Comprehensive Skills Assessment on Monday, failing that=dropped from the program on the spot. ...No pressure...

Wellll thats everything about moi. Stay tuned for a post on Andrew!

No comments:

Post a Comment