Friday, January 6, 2012

Linen Placemats

There was quite a lot of linen fabric leftover from our bed project that I have been saving and yesterday I finally put it to some good use. I made placemats! Originally I had plans to make pillows (of which we don't even need), but literally every time we sit down at the table I place kitchen towels under our plates. Until yesterday, nothing has been successfully produced from my sewing machine. To say I am sewing-challenged is an understatement. The following photos may be pretty, but I promise this was a war zone.



The standard sized placemat does not work with my 4 chair round table because the corners touch, so I wanted to make a fabric charger type placemat instead. First I made a rough cut against my plate to help me with the dimensions, which was 14x14.

Then I pinned both squares together, inside out.

I sewed around the edges leaving a 1/4 inch seam allowance...

...making sure to leave a 2 inch gap for when I pull the square right side out. Tip: Clipping the corners helps!

After my fabric was right side out I placed a pin over the gap to help the fabric stay folded in while I ironed over everything.

Voila. I am still deciding if I want to make an outside hem for decoration, but that would mean tackling the sewing machine again..hmm

Tip: Having your hubby come home with 'just because' flowers is really encouraging :)

2 comments:

  1. Love the blog lady!! You are so crafty with your camera & mad crafting skillz. Your home looks beautiful. *And yeah, blue is my choice for your bed too. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. did not see this sweet comment! thanks so much! have you noticed my new succulent "garden"? totally inspired by your blog to plant something and name it :)

      Delete