Thursday, July 14, 2011

Day 27

A picture of you last year and now and how you have changed since then:

above: wedding hair trial run, below: romantic weekend getaway because we can because we're married :)

How have I changed this past year? Since we are in our 1st year of marriage it would be safe to assume I have had to adjust to the big 'shift' with becoming a wife, but to be honest, the big shift was kind of anticlimatic. I think because we both knew early in our relationship that we were meant for eachother, and being engaged for a full year, that we were being prepared for marriage for a long time. Especially the whole 'leaving your parents and cleaving to your husband' thing. My heart naturally looked towards Andrew for support and comfort before we were married so finally when we were, there wasnt a noticeable shift. I will say though, our outside circumstances have definately been changing and changing us. In less than a year I have gone from comfortable homemaker with a 4 unit school load to becoming a health insurance broker and preparing to be a full time RN student in the fall. I am so thankful for how we were able to spend our first half of marriage because it allowed us to become independent from our parents and how to take care of a home and really just how to enjoy the bliss of marriage. As we're coming to the end of our first year of marriage I will say it has been a totally different experience, but also one to be thankful for. We have become very responsible and savvy shoppers :) We love to see our savings grow and its kind of addicting. Sometimes we say "weekend away or $400 richer?" lol. I think the excitement of being responsible with money comes from God preparing us for what difficulties the coming months might bring. God has been super faithful when it comes to Andrews client-scene but we know that there are dry seasons too and we have to prepare for that.

Overall I feel like the same person I was a year ago, but I definately feel different than the person I was 2 years ago. To put it simply, I just dont understand how married women have best friends (more specifically, unmarried best friends). I used to tell Andrew all the time that I needed more friends, but then I started to wonder why I felt that I 'needed' that. I really didnt, I have just been told thats what I needed. Dont get me wrong, I think Andrew and I definately need to be surrounded by other young married couples (PS If there are any young married couple small groups out there, come out from hiding! We have been looking for you!). My main thing is: How do you confide in a best friend and your husband? How do you meet a friends expectations if they are not your first priority or avoid the backlash if you cant? Sometimes I feel doomed because most women that are not married dont understand that 'shift' of priority. Maybe I am alone in this, but maybe if you are married you understand? I think this balance is the hardest and if you have found it maybe you should write a book and share.


No comments:

Post a Comment